Home | Contact Us | Sitemap | Imprint 
Studentenwerk Göttingen
Studierende aus dem Ausland
StartseiteKontaktÜbersichtImpressum PrintPDF
Today at the cafeteria
Font size


Looking for accommodation from abroad is not easy. We are glad to assist you. Please click here for further information regarding our online application procedure.


Settling down and getting accustomed to new surroundings in a foreign country is not always easy for foreign students, especially during the first weeks and months of their stay abroad. If personal difficulties come along with the challenge to adapt to new surroundings including a new culture and language, the situation may develop into a personal crisis.
To prevent such a crisis from becoming an insolvable problem, our service team for psychological guidance (PSB) is available to assist you.

BAföG student loans


Generally, only German citizens are entitled to obtain student loans according to the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG). However, entitlement may arise for non-German students, if they are

1. citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland, who

a) were employed in Germany with a job similar to their current study program before they enrolled at university or
b) are entitled to stay permanently or
c) have a derived stay permit since they are family members (children or spouses

2. citizens of Turkey holding a residence permit according to the Association Council Resolution No. 1/80 EEC/Turkey (Assoziationsratsbeschluss EWG/Türkei Nr. 1/80)

3. foreign nationals with a settlement permit or a permit for permanent residency within the European Union

4. displaced persons, foreign nationals entitled to be granted asylum or acknowledged refugees as well as foreign nationals who are allowed to stay according to international law or for humanitarian reasons

5. children and spouses/partners of foreign nationals holding a settlement permit within the scope of family unification

6. After an uninterrupted legal 4-year-stay with permanent residency in Germany

a) foreign nationals with protection against deportation or who are obliged to leave, but Capital because it begins a new set of criteria cannot do so due to urgent humanitarian, personal, legal or actual reasons

b) children and spouses/partners of foreign nationals holding a settlement permit within the scope of family unification

Other foreign nationals

Foreign nationals not included in the above-mentioned cases will be nevertheless entitled if they were legally employed during their stay in Germany. International students applying for accommodation under these conditions must have been employed for five years. Alternatively, one of their parents must have been employed for three years. The parents must have stayed and been employed in Germany within a period of six years before filing their child's application.

Foreign nationals who have been employed for six months and need to care for a child younger than 10 years or for an older disabled child who needs to be cared for in the a shared house/flat will be deemed as employed too, according to the above definition. Concerning the students' parents, employment will be accepted according to the above definition, if they were employed for at least six months and could not continue such employment due to reasons beyond their control (e. g. illness, unemployment, start of pension).

Foreign nationals who stay in Germany solely for the purpose of attending university, school, language courses, job trainings, or in order to be employed or work as a freelancer on national grounds are not entitled to student loans.


Please state your nationality on the student loan application (form 1) and prove it by presenting your passport. If entitlement is based on marriage, please also submit your spouse's passport. If German residence is still legally granted, entitlement will remain valid for the current student program even in the case of separation or divorce.

In order to prove any such special legal status, please provide your settlement permit or the permit for permanent residency within the European Union. Alternatively, check your residence permit to find out on which regulation it is based according to the current law of residence. Both are usually documented on your passport. Required periods of employment must be stated on form 4 and  confirmed with the certificates therein requested.