Variety in general, healthy variety, the consideration of different nutritional styles and fair prices, tailored to the student wallet, await you in our canteen are waiting for you in our canteens and at the mensen@home food vending machines:
Meals with meat or fish, vegan and vegetarian dishes, stews, refined salads, starch and vegetable dishes as well as tempting desserts ensure a varied offer.
Since October 2021
- you will find a new salad concept in the central canteen. Choose one of the ready-made basic salads, with 2 to 3 toppings and a dressing - our employees will help you.
- the canteen "Mensa am Turm" has reopenend after being closed for a long time due to the pandemic. The canteen offers 100% vegan and vegetarian dishes, salads and desserts.We hope to meet your taste with these innovations!
On the north campus, the lunch box will be available during the renovation phase of the north canteen.
The Mensa Italia remains closed because a corona test station is located here.
See you - of course in one of our canteens!
Healthy nutrition is very important in the canteens. Most of the purchases are German food. Regional suppliers are preferred. We require from our meat and sausage suppliers a guarantee statement, which must show that the marketed animals were born and reared in Germany.
Our kitchen managers attach great importance to the preservation and dye-free food processing of the purchased goods (e.g., without phosphates). To flavour the dishes, the canteen chefs use only iodized table salt. All fresh and frozen goods are checked at their delivery to the legally prescribed inlet temperature and best before dates.
In our canteens, the principles of the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points System (HACCP) are respected. In addition, a random check of the food by a specialist institute of the University of Göttingen takes place without prior notice. Samples of all food are kept for 10 days to prove their quality.
The Studentenwerk is against the use of genetically modified food. Therefore, we only use food and food products that do not contain genetically modified substances and are traceable within the meaning of EC regulations 1829/2003 and 1830/2003.
Where about 14,000 guests a day are to be cared for, there can be a lot of waste. The Studentenwerk has counteracted this for a long time with the concept of "Avoiding before Reduction".
We are increasingly focusing on bulk packs and reusable systems and do not rely solely on the "Green Dot". In addition, we have taken further measures:
- Water and energy savings by replacing old appliances (e.g., dishwashers)
- Demands on suppliers to use reusable containers
- Delivery of the resulting fats depending on origin (frying fat, separator)
Finally, we rely on the active support of our guests, whom we provide with containers for waste separation and the collection of recyclables.