Beim Versenden deiner Nachricht ist ein Fehler aufgetreten. Bitte versuche es erneut.
Vielen Dank für deine Nachricht! Wir setzen uns mit dir in Verbindung.

FAQ about housing

Here, we answer the most frequently asked questions about housing. You have suggestions, criticism or want to complete the FAQ? We look forward to your message.

Who is allowed to have a dorm room? 

Students of the University of Göttingen, the HAWK Hildesheim / Holzminden faculty of Göttingen, the private colleges of Göttingen and students of the University of Kassel are entitled to reside for the consecutive master's program "Sustainable International Agriculture" in cooperation with the University of Göttingen. 

I am doing an internship in Göttingen for 2 months and looking for a room. Can I get a room in the dorm? 

You may be able to get a room in a dormitory of the Studentenwerk Göttingen during the semester break on a monthly basis if there are no inquiries from students who are entitled to reside with us. Your internship must be in a university context. Let us know your request to move in by e-mail via the contact form. The more lead time we have, the greater the chances that we can offer you a room. 

How do I get on the waiting list for a dormitory room?

Apply for a dorm room online. By e-mail you will receive a confirmation link, which you absolutely have to unlock. Only then we will put you on the desired waiting list. You may only submit one application. Double applications will not be considered and deleted. Please make sure that the photo in the file attachment is not larger than 2 MB.

How do I apply as an exchange student (e.g. Erasmus)?

As an exchange student, you can not apply online. Please contact the Accommodation Service of the International Office of the University of Göttingen.

How do I apply for a family apartment? 

Families cannot apply online. Please use the application form for families to apply. Detailed information can be obtained from the Wohnheimverwaltung (residence management) Albrecht-Thaer-Weg, Albrecht-Thaer-Weg 6, 37075 Göttingen, Tel. 0551 - 39 35 162 or 0551 - 39 35 044. 

How do I apply for preferential admittance in a dorm?

Prerequisites for applying for preferential admittance: You are critically ill or have a severe disability, and for recovery or to support your studies and everyday life you are in need of special facilities available in a dorm. 

For the application, a meaningful certificate from a specialist doctor, which indicates which special facilities of the dorm you need or a disability card with a detailed personal justification, which specific facilities of the dorm you need (e.g. barrier-free room), is required.You can only apply for preferential admittance for one dorm.

Please send us your online application for the dorm, enter your reasons for preferential admittance in a short version under "Remarks" and send us by postal mail the meaningful medical report or a copy of your severely handicapped ID card with a detailed reason (no proof makes processing impossible!). 

Applications for preferential admittance are always an individual case-by-case decision. 

If your application is not approved, you will stay on the regular waiting list and you are welcome to expand your dorm selection by adding two more dormitories. 

When should I apply for a place to live? 

As early as possible, as the rooms are allocated according to the waiting list. The probability of getting a room is greater the sooner your application is received by us. With your application you do not undertake any obligation, meaning, you can revoke it at any time, put yourself back on the waiting list or change to another form of housing. At or after your move you will submit us your enrolment certificate, i.e. you can also apply without a letter of admission or enrolment certificate. 

What does group accommodation mean and how do I get a place in this form of housing?

Group flats are self-contained housing units for 2-6 persons. The allocation is for the complete flat, meaning a group of interested people find each other and apply together. Individual applicants cannot apply for a room in a group flat. The composition of the group takes place without the involvement of the Studentenwerk. If individual persons move out of the shared flat before the end of the group living period, the residents are responsible for finding new tenants for the remaining group living period. This is usually done via internet offers or notices on the bulletin boards of the university or the dormitories. 

How do we apply for a group flat?

Step 1: A member of the future residential community applies and indicates the name of the other tenant(s) in the application. This shared flat member receives in his/her confirmation mail an applicant number.

Step 2: Now all other members of the group flat apply. These must indicate the application number communicated to the first applicant under "Group ID" in the application form. Without the specification of this number, an assignment is not possible. In addition, all names must be entered in the Name/s field of the competitor(s).

The name of the member in the first application does not replace the application(s) of the other member(s)! All members of the future shared flat community have to apply.

Which forms of housing are offered?

Single room
Rooms with shared use of kitchens and bathrooms 

Single apartments 
Rooms with bath and partly own kitchen 

Group flats for 2, 3 or 4 
2/3/4 / or 6 separate rooms with kitchen and bathroom (Joint application of 2/3/4 or 6 people required)

Double apartments 
Apartment with a walk-through room or a large room for 1 or 2 people (see dorm overview)

How do I get information about waiting times, room size, rent, furniture, kitchen and bathroom usage, internet access, community facilities, location etc.?

Detailed information on prices, room sizes, etc. can be found in the overview list of dormitories and on the dorm pages. Please inquire with further questions by telephone, in writing or on site in the service office Studentisches Wohnen or in the responsible dormitory administrations.

The waiting time depends on the selected form of housing (single room, single apartment, group flat), received rental terminations, the desired date of move-in and the number of people on the waiting list in front of you.

Under what conditions is a submitted application deleted? 

If you do not reply to our offers/letters or e-mails in due time, your application will be deleted from the waiting list and the accumulated waiting time will expire.

How/when do I receive my rental agreement? 

You will initially receive a room offer. After signing and returning the attached declaration of acceptance, the lease is valid. You will not receive any further confirmation of receipt. The rental agreement will be signed by the relevant dormitory administration upon collection of the key. 

Is there a minimum / maximum rental period? 

The regular rental time is 8 semesters. The contractual relationship can be terminated with the three-month (statutory) notice period at any time. 

How do I contact you? 

Just use the contact form on the website, call us (phone +49 551 - 39 35 135 from 9 am to 3 pm) or contact us (Studentenwerk Göttingen, Servicebüro Studentisches Wohnen, Postfach 3851, 37028 Göttingen). 

Service office

Servicebüro Studentisches Wohnen
Platz der Göttinger Sieben 4
Entrance 4b, level 0
37073 Göttingen

Tel.: 0551 - 39 35 135